Tuesday, September 23, 2014

That's Fall, Folks!

Today is the official first day of fall.  The leaves are changing, the weather is getting cooler, and pumpkin-flavored everything has arrived, as foretold by the GOT meme.  Now is as good a time as any to end my self-imposed hibernation by shaking out the cobwebs and putting fingers to keyboard once more.

My long hiatus is the result of a couple of factors, one being the entire month of August.  As I've mentioned before, August and I have a weird relationship.  It just kind of hangs around, existing just to make the year long enough to fit into the Gregorian calendar.  If August had a job it would be in HR, making needlessly complicated policies to justify its existence.  It's the old age of summer; where July is all frat parties and road trips, August is married with three kids and a mortgage desperately trying to be July.  Fuck August, is what I'm saying.  It's best to just curl up under the covers and wait for it to get the hint and leave.

Finally, August passed with all the grace of a kidney stone, but my ordeal was far from over.  Every year when the seasons begin to change over I am struck with an illness, usually just a case of the sniffles accompanies by a cough that persists for a week or so.  That's how it began again this year, but a few days in I suddenly took a turn for the worst.  I was exhausted, had no appetite, and chills despite a 103 degree fever.  For the first time in years I was forced to consult a doctor, who informed me I had a severe case of bronchitis on the verge of full-blown pneumonia.  I just know August was behind this, a final parting shot as a reminder of its eternal sucky-ness.

Two weeks later, having consumed enough pills to stock my own pharmacy, I have returned to full health and have flung myself into traditional fall activities, such as finding the perfect pumpkin-flavored beer and watching the new TV shows.  So far I have been quite disappointed on both counts.  But the season has just begun and anything can happen.  Stay tuned!      

No comments:

Post a Comment